This is adapted from Diana Henry’s A Change of Appetite. It’s crispy and crunchy with a spicy sauce – how can you go wrong? I added some spinach and served with brown basmati – if you can’t go without meat add some grilled chicken.Ingredients
food processor or a blender
9 1/2- inch springform pan
Vegetable oil and flour for preparing the pan
3 cups pumpkin or butternut squash puree
3/4 cup 1% fat milk
1/3 cup honey (113g)
1/3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
Grated zest of1lemon (preferably organic)
1/ 4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Grated zest of 1 lemon, preferably organic
1/ 3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons honey
Save a shopping List
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Oil the pan and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine the pumpkin puree, milk, honey, flour, lemon zest, salt, vanilla, and eggs. Process to blend.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake until golden and firm, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the flan comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes.
4. Remove to a rack to cool. After 10 minutes, run a knife along the side of the pan. Release and remove the side of the springform pan, leaving the flan on the pan base.
5. While the flan cools, prepare the topping: Combine the lemon zest, honey, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until the honey is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Serve the flan warm or at room temperature: Cut it into thin wedges and top with the warm lemon sauce.
1 daikon radishes, julienned
1 c shredded carrots
6 radishes, sliced thin
1 c mung beans
1/4 c cilantro leaves
1 TBSP rice vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp sugar
2 c spinach
Combine vinegar, lime juice and sugar in a bowl, whisk until sugar is dissolved. Toss with remaining ingredients. Set aside.
1 1/2 TBSP peanut oil
3 shallots, sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 inch piece of ginger, minced
1 red chile, sliced thin
1/4 c peanuts, chopped
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 TBSP sesame oil
Heat peanut oil in a skillet, add shallots, cook over medium heat until golden brown. Add garlic, ginger,-‘s chile cook for 1 minute. Add peanuts and sugar stir for a couple minutes until sugar starts to caramelize. Take off heat and lime juice and soy sauce. And 2 TBSP water then sesame oil.
Spoon peanut dressing over spass and serve.
Serves 2 – 4.
4 WW PP.