This is a vegan version of Tartine’s Mushroom Bread Pudding, it turned out great. If your not vegan just Google Tartine Mushroom Bread Pudding – it was published on a bunch of sites.
- Vegan butter, for greasing
- 1 1⁄2 lb. mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster, and porcini, sliced 1⁄4″ thick
- 2 1⁄2 cups almond milk
- 1⁄2 cups almond 1/2 & 1/2
- 1⁄2 c vegan grated parmesan
- 1⁄3 c roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. minced thyme
- 3 tbsp flax meal, mixed in 3/4 c water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf country bread, torn into 1″ pieces (6 cups), lightly toasted
- 1 cup shredded Vegan mozzarella cheese
- large leek, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 3-qt. oval baking dish with butter. Add leek to a skillet and cook until soft, 3–4 minutes with 1 tbsp olive oil, transfer to a bowl when done. Working in two batches, cook mushrooms in remaining oil until golden, 6–8 minutes; add to leaks. Whisk milk, 1/2 and 1/2, parmesan, 1⁄4 c parsley, the thyme, flax mixture, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Stir in the bread; let sit 15 minutes.
Transfer to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with “Mozzarella” cheese and bake until golden brown and set, about 45 minutes. Garnish with remaining parsley.