This one comes from Food and Wine Magazine. If you are vegan leave out the meatballs. Also note, the split peas need to soak over night.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 c short-grain white rice
- 3/4 c dried green split peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 c finely chopped parsley leaves and tender stems
- 2 c finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/2 c finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses, plus more as needed
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil spray
Make the soup In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, cinnamon and turmeric and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to soften, 5 minutes. Add the rice, split peas and 10 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice and peas are tender and the soup is quite thick, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add the scallions, parsley, cilantro and mint and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the pomegranate molasses and season with salt.
Make the meatballs In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoons of the ground lamb into balls. Add the meatballs to the soup and simmer until cooked through, 10 minutes. If the soup is getting too thick, add water.
Preheat oven or air fryer to 350. Make the onions. In a bowl spray onions and toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet or place in air frye and cook 15 minutes or until crispy, tossing several times.
Fill bowl with soup, top with onions and drizzle with Pom molasses.
Serves 6 – 8.