This soup is made from pantry staples, so it is perfect for one of those night when you don’t want to cook, it is so good and so easy you’ll want put it in regular rotation. It’s vegan too!!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 2½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 c red lentils
- 2 a 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- ½ c finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c basil, chopped
- 1/4 c roasted peanuts, chopped
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium. Cook onion, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add lentils and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, coconut milk , a generous pinch of salt, and 2½ cups water; season with pepper. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft but not mushy, 20–25 minutes. Season soup with more salt and pepper if needed.
To serve, divide soup among bowls. Top with basil, peanuts and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.