This is a great weeknights meal – if you are vegan leave our pork belly. This is adapted from Food & Wine.
- 1/2 lb pork belly, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb jar kimchi, drained, 1/4 c liquid reserved
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp gochugaru
- 1 bag baby spinach
- One 14-ounce container silken tofu
- Steamed short-grain rice, for serving
In a medium-size nonreactive pot, cook the pork belly pieces over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat is
sizzling and the pork is light golden, about 8 minutes. Add the kimchi and the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally,
until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the reserved kimchi
liquid, mushrooms, gochujang, gochugaru, and 4 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook over moderately low heat for 10 minutes.
Season stew with salt. Stir in tofu, breaking up and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach just before serving. Serve with rice.